Sunday, August 5, 2007

free internet...

Well, I am here in NY. The adventures have been crazy/Linda style with some dramatics, hot men, good food, sights, taxi cabs drivers, falling on subways, and most of all a messy room.

The first day ANthony and I arrive we decide that we want to check out our new apt. hahahahahha...we get off 175th. and start walking. Anthony is scared...I'm not (it's in my blood). We continue walking, searching for our apt building. During the walk we see about 3 deals. AMAZING! Next day we come back and the streets are full of life. It is hot. The neighborhood children have turned on the fire hydrants and are playing in the water. Cars pull over, children and drivers run out to play in the water. The older folks are curbside sticking their chubby feet into the water yelling at the children, telling them to keep the water going. This barrio is fabulous. About 2 avenues is a gay dominican bar/nightclub, so as soon as anthony turns 21 that's where we will be.

the next day, i interviewed in the bronx. it was a great center...i would be a group teacher (aka lead teacher with one assistant) to 17 four year olds. Sadly, i received an email from the director stating that the teacher who i was going to replace has decided she might stay. if she doesn't, i am hired:(

Yesterday we were caught on the A train (the train that runs from my place to lower Man.) for about an hour and a half. Mind you, it is extremely hot here. So we are on the train and it starts to stop every second...a woman enters the train looking like she has just ran a marathon. She stands right next to me. The train stops once again...not at a stop, but in between stops. It is crowded and smells like onions, the woman bends over. I realize what she is about to do. I start asking for a plastic bag...no answer...DOES ANYONE HAVE A PLASTIC BAG THIS WOMAN IS GOING TO THROWUP AND IT WILL SMELL...no answer...the woman throws up. Then some woman with a child hands the woman a bag. I ask the woman if she needs water because she is obviously dehydrated, but nope, she doesn't want any. hmmmmm...she later thanks the woman who gave her a bag...not me...i was sad:(

after that anthony and i fought...the first of many, i am sure. i bought a rice cooker, mirror, spoons, forks, knives, and hangers from kmart. the delivered it for 15 woot woot! notice you do not see BED in there...yea, don't have one. I want to order the futon/bed thing from IKea, so I will...soon. my room is going to be orange and purple.

mara's sister has been amazing! she let us stay in her pad for the first days we were here. anthony's work is beautiful. the locksmith downstairs is cute. the food is great. the sights are wonderful. still haven't seen the statue of lib. i have a fire escape! that's the reason why i got the bedroom, anthony was afraid of the fire escape. there was a down pour two nights ago. i ran in the rain. i saw a sign "If you TAKA my space, I breaka your face". my friend who i haven't seen for 6 years is in NY! sayjal comes soon!

I wish everyone was here to enjoy! miss you!

and you have read correctly...i have the internet! woot woot!

linda lost in NY with a rice cooker

ps there will be way more to come about my first few days, but my arms hurt.

No comments: